Myriam Baril and Randy Panté are Montréal-based dancers and choreographers specializing in the old-timey dances of jazz, blues, charleston, and funk. They dance out of the Swing Connexion Dance School and actively coach performance troupes, teach dance classes, and perform as much as they can. They are known for their strong work-ethic and can usually be seen social dancing with giant goofy grins at various dance venues around the city.
We Totally Got Married!
After three years of dating, two cats, and a whole bunch of swing-outs, we finally tied the knot! Oh happy days!
While we first met in a dance competition many years before actually meeting “for-reals” (spoiler: Mimi beat Randy), and most of our time revolves around dancing, it really was our shared sense of adventure that drew us together.
We didn’t know where exactly we were heading in our lives, but we knew it was with each other… and head first while sprinting with our eyes closed.
In the three years, we have partnered-up to win (and almost-win) many competitions, taught over thirty dance troupes/projects, created a yearly weekend dance exchange, travelled as much as our wallets could handle, learned to sew and cook properly, did the jive (twice), and have been featured on television shows, commercials, and short films in and around the province of Quebec!
Most importantly, we have met and grown to know some exceptional people along the way who have been there through the good times and the bad – our SwingConnexion family, our Montréal blues family, Randy’s besties buds and Myriam’s crazy filles. We really could not have gotten here without you all and for that, we are forever in your debt.
Dancing is in our very pores and we feel most at home in a dance studio or up on stage. We dance to connect with the world. We dance when we are high and even more so when we are low. We dance not because we have something to prove but because if we ceased to dance, we would cease to be who we are.
We count our lucky stars every day that we are able to do what we do and we work hard to ensure that our students have the best possible experience when they work with us.
Dance Credentials at A Glance:
- Co-Founders and organizers of MMMblues.com (Montréal’s yearly blues exchange).
- Organizer of Blues Bump.
- Artistic Director of “Back to the Crossroads” – a full dance show showcasing the history and transformation of one of the most important musical influences in our world today – the Blues.
- Head-Honcho for all bluesy related things at Swing Connexion.
- 3 partnered blues troupes and 2 solo blues troupes each semester.
- SCX – Rising Stars, Shooting Stars
- PortoSwing – Melting Hoppers (pro lindy hop)
- Regular classes in blues every session.
- BluesShout! (1st solo, 1st expert j&j, 1st pro-am, 2nd all-star j&j)
- Swing Riot (1st solo, 2nd solo, 2nd lindy hop battle, 2nd short showcase)
- Canadian Swing Championships (1st partnered blues, 1st solo blues, 2nd solo blues, 1st advance j&j)
- Snowbound Blues (2nd solo blues, finalist invitational j&j, finalist invitational strictly)
- Swing-A-Dance (1st strictly, 1st j&j, 1st blues, 2nd slow dance)
- Stompology (solo finalist)
- Followlogie (1st solo, 2nd solo)
All that is important is this one moment in movement. Make the moment important, vital, and worth living. Do not let it slip away unnoticed and unused.